Permaculture Master Class workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
To provide permaculture design concepts to The Queanbeyan Hive so they can complete their creation of the venue’s environment as a culture hub.
The Queanbeyan Hive is a new enterprise in Crawford St Queanbeyan set in a restored historic building on a commercial site. Use of the Hive includes: gallery and exhibition space, rooms for creative pursuits and community group or professional lease; and as an entertainment venue (bands, performances) in both a ‘parlour’ style and an outdoor yard.
The owners have shaped the outdoor space to create usable spaces for large groups of public (60-100). They would like to take it to a new level and create an engaging environment for all ages to stimulate and support a broad range of creative pursuits.
Learning outcomes for attendees
- Deeper understanding of the design process.
- Possibilities and constraints in commercial zoned enterprises for Permaculture design for both environment and social systems.
- How to present your design ideas.
- large notebook/sketchpad, pens, pencils, paints (some materials will be available for use)
- goodwill and energy
Lizzy Smith, Permaculture designer and certified human factors and ergonomic specialist. More information about Lizzy and Permaculture here: http://worksmith.com.au/Permaculture.php
Flow of the workshop
We will begin by absorbing the space, we will generate initial ideas, we will hear the dreams of the owners and understand any practical constraints, we will work through the design process with iterations of our ideas, we will synthesise, we will eat cake, we will present our concepts to the owners and hear feedback on our ideas, we will celebrate our contribution to good people doing good work.
Who should come?
You will get more out of the workshop if you have:
- done a permaculture design course or an introduction to permaculture (or in the process of completing) as we will be working from Permaculture principles with assumed knowledge; or
- experience or skills in urban design, landscape design or other design fields (formal or self-taught).
If you don’t qualify under these points but still want to come along, please talk to Lizzy on 0448 362 989.
This workshop is limited to 10 people.